Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Monday, December 15, 2014

2014 YA Superlatives Blogfest: Head of the Class





It’s that time of year again! No, not the time of year where we give gift cards thoughtful, personalized presents to the people we know—though it’s that time of year, too, so if you haven’t bought any gifts yet … you’re in the same boat as me—but that time in December when we look back on all the 2014 books we’ve read and loved.

Time for the Class of 2014 YA Superlative Blogfest. Today’s category: Head of Class. Read on for my picks. (Click the book cover image to read more on Goodreads.)


FAVORITE DYSTOPIAN
Erin Bowman will force you to love characters you don’t want to, then rip your heart out because she’s sadistic like that. (Read my full review here.)


FAVORITE SCIENCE FICTION
I was pretty much guaranteed to like this book considering the premise: Girl hosts alien exchange student, falls in love. Yes, please.


FAVORITE FANTASY
I had a really hard time with this category. I went on a bit of a fantasy binge in this year (though I still haven’t read Heir of Fire), and of those that were published in 2014, I had a hard time picking my favorite.

I love the Falling Kingdoms world, which I returned to in Gathering DarknessDespite my intense dislike for one of the POV characters, my love for three others made up for it, and I really enjoyed this third book in the series.

I was a huge fan of The Burning Sky, and the sequel, The Perilous Sea, might have even been better. I mean seriously: dual time line, one of which involves the characters with wiped memories falling in love all over again.

I’m a sucker for Mary E. Pearson’s gorgeous writing, but what I loved so much about The Kiss of Deception was that the identities of two of the POV characters are hidden until the end, making for a great twist.

And I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Stolen Songbird, which featured a strong, insanely likable heroine and a very cool setting.


FAVORITE CONTEMPORARY
I wish this wasn’t packaged in a pretty purple cover, because this book is so much more than a fluffy beach read. If you liked Huntley Fitzpatrick’s My Life Next Door, you’ll love this book.


FAVORITE ACTION/ADVENTURE
reviewed I Am the Mission here, but here’s the gist: It’s a fast-paced assassin story like no other I’ve read in young adult literature. 


FAVORITE HISTORICAL FICTION
I love everything about this book (full review here), especially the narrator’s dialect. This is the second in the series, so if you’ve never read it, go pick up Scarlet right now.


FAVORITE COMEDY
This book is like drinking soda while eating ice cream—sweet enough to rot your teeth. It’s funny and light, a quick read that’ll leave you going awwww. (Read my full review here.)


 FAVORITE MYSTERY
This is a tough one because the mystery books I most enjoyed this year were Y.S. Lee’s historical mystery series, starting with A Spy in the House. Alas, those were published before 2014 and the one that was published this year is the one I haven’t read. That said, I devoured Killer Instinct the way I would an episode of Criminal Minds—it kept me guessing and was a fast, quick read.

 

FAVORITE ROMANCE
I will always love Jenny Han (despite the ending of Burn for Burn, which is all I’ll say about that), and though this book was no Summer I Turned Pretty, it was an adorable romance that felt so genuinely teen. I loved the main character, loved the family dynamics, loved the premise, loved the love interest… You’re seeing a pattern, right?


FAVORITE PARANORMAL 
Here’s what I love about Roth: He’s bad enough to not be good but good enough to be considered truly decent. So he might be a prince of Hell. He’s also kind, selfless, and protective of the main character. And he’s half of the reason I enjoyed this book. The rest being the fast-paced plot. I’ll be totally honest here, though, I really didn’t read much paranormal at all this year. (Also, please don’t judge this book by its cover.)



Check back tomorrow for our next category: Popularity Contest. (Look here for a list ofsuperlatives.) Remember: Participate on all four days and you’ll be entered for the giveaway at the end!

And don't forget to add your list of Head of the Class picks below!



No comments:

Post a Comment